Overview of Position: The District Administrator (DA) is an employee of the Beaverhead Conservation District (BCD). The BCD is a subdivision of state government and receives revenues from real property taxes. The DA reports to the Board of Supervisors. The DA provides administrative, communications, and technical services managing the daily operations of the BCD office.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Daily operation of the BCD and provides administrative and communications support to the Board of Supervisors.
- Serves as a liaison with the community, local, state and other resource agencies
- Processes and issues 310 perennial stream permits according to established procedures
- Prepares documents, financial data, annual reports and filings
- Performs bookkeeping, accounting, and payroll functions
- Attends monthly board meetings, produces agendas and minutes transcription
- Writes grants for GCD projects, may sponsor grants for other entities, will manage grant cycles for reporting and reimbursement management
- Curates articles, advertisements, and others to disseminate conservation messaging on the BCD website and/or other social media platforms.
- Manages content for website, social media, press releases, newsletters, and other communications
- Organizes and implements event planning and workshops
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Work will be mostly in a sedentary office setting and out in the field conducting 310 inspections, assisting with youth programs, and projects.
- Outside activities require walking and climbing over rough terrain. Must be able to lift objects over 50 pounds and be physically fit for potentially strenuous fieldwork.
- Duties may require occasional travel, attending evening meetings and weekend events.
- High school diploma/GED and five years of related professional experience.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills
- Talent to foster effective partnerships with landowners, agricultural producers, other Conservation Districts, USDA and State agency personnel and other stakeholders
- Independent worker who is organized, self-motivated, and highly adept at prioritizing tasks
- Aptitude for problem solving and creative dialogue to address differing or conflicting viewpoints
- Tech-savvy: Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook Explorer, QuickBooks, Mapping/GIS, Word Press, and other Social Media platforms
- A Business Management or Accounting degree with two or more years of job-related accounting and general office experience. Familiarity with production agriculture/ranching a plus.
- Knowledge of conservation practices and resources including familiarity of the Montana Natural Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Law)
- Operational or office management supervising staff
Job Compensation: $15-17/hour DOE. 16 hours a week guaranteed, additional hours available through grant funding.
- Paid sick and annual leave: Accrue per State of Montana guidelines
- Compensation time: Position is eligible to earn either overtime or comp time
- Holidays: Holidays recognized by the State of Montana are observed and paid based on an average number of hours/week.
- Medical: A medical stipend of $270/month is offered
Policy: Employees shall abide by the BCD Employee Handbook and the Laws Pertaining to Montana’s Conservation Districts.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the District provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. The Beaverhead Conservation District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply: Send a resume and responses to the following:
- What are your philosophies on working for a board?
- Describe your experience in office and/or operational management.
- How would you describe your management style?
- What do you see as the biggest issues facing natural resources, and particularly in Beaverhead County?
Send application materials to: email@example.com
Location: The Beaverhead Conservation District is located at 420 Barrett St, Dillon, MT 59725
Business hours are to be set by the new administrator. Currently, the office is open, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00-4:30.